NTT aftershocks predicted to persist for up to 30 days: BMKG

Jakarta (ANTARA) - The Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) predicts that aftershock activity in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) will continue for the next 21 to 30 days.

"Based on our monitoring results, aftershock activity will continue. Generally, the graph shows a declining trend. Based on current data, the aftershocks will continue for approximately the next 21-30 days, but their frequency will decrease," BMKG Deputy for Geophysics, Nelly Florida Riama, said in a joint press conference on Wednesday.She said that aftershocks were mainly concentrated in central and western Flores, with their distribution associated with tectonic zones.
 

"BMKG continues to monitor and analyze the activity to obtain a better understanding of this seismic activity," Riama said.

The agency noted that as of Wednesday afternoon, there were 3,002 aftershocks with magnitudes of 1.1 to 6.2, with 86 aftershocks reportedly felt by the public, along with 25 events with magnitudes of 5 or higher.

"The high number of aftershocks is due to the Earth's crust adjusting or releasing energy, achieving a new equilibrium after a large mainshock," she explained.

Furthermore, the National Agency for Disaster Countermeasure (BNPB) is preparing support for residents whose homes were damaged by the 7.7 magnitude earthquake in Flores, NTT, on August 15.

"For lightly damaged homes, we will provide support of Rp15 million (around US$817 thousand), while moderately damaged homes will receive support of Rp30 million (around US$1,634)," Suharyanto outlined.

The agency also reported that 165 tons of logistics had been transported by air as of Tuesday evening (August 18), contributing to a total of 398 tons of aid delivered between August 15 and 18. Land transport remained the primary means of transporting the assistance.

Pewarta : Lintang Budiyanti P, Resinta Sulistiyandari
Editor: I Komang Suparta
COPYRIGHT © ANTARA 2026